Saturday, March 31, 2018

Disappearing acts


In the writing I like best, the writer disappears and the work seems to have written itself. This kind of disappearing act, ironically, requires the closest attention to language and form.

From Ongoingness: The End of a Diary by Sarah Manguso:
I often prefer writers' diaries to their work written intentionally for publication. It's as if I want the information without the obstacles of style or form. But of course all writing possesses style and form, and in good writing they aren't obstacles.
Another friend said, I want to write sentences that seem as if no one wrote them. The goal being the creation of a pure delivery system, without the distraction of a style.  The goal being a form no one notices, the creation of what seems like pure feeling, not of what seems like a vehicle for feeling. Language as pure experience, pure memory. I too wanted to achieve that impossible effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment